Time for Christmas Cookies!
Chocolate Mint Layer Cookies
my grandma’s recipe
Hands down, my favorite Christmas cookies of all time! Can you believe I’m going to share it with you? MERRY CHRISTMAS from me! Everyone needs to eat these cookies.🙂
This recipe is adapted from my grandmother’s wheat flour version (I’ll include the original for those of you who don’t have to eat gluten free).
Chocolate Mint Layer Cookies:
Cookie Layer –
- 2 (1 oz) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 Cup brown rice flour (ORIGINAL recipe: 3/4 c sifted flour instead of the two rice flours) BTW the cookie layer is so thin on these, you could probably use any gluten free flours that float your boat. Also if you want to you could include a slight amount of xanthan gum (1/2 teaspoon). I didn’t find that it needed it but could improve the texture I suppose.
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
Melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Mix flours and sugar. Add to chocolate mixture. Add eggs and vanilla. Pour into greased 9x9x2 in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 min. I might try covering them with tin foil for part of the time next time I make these. Cool.
Mint Creme Filling:
- 1 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons cream or evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint flavor
- green food coloring
Combine ingredients and beat until smooth. Spread over cookie layer. Chill until firm.
Would you believe I got a little “help” from Peewee? She did such a great job with daddy’s wrench. “Mum mum!”
German Chocolate Glaze:
- 3 oz german sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1inch piece of parafin wax (this is how the original recipe reads. I use probably 1/2 and inch piece from a cube of parafin wax that is approx 1 in square and keeps forever so I have no idea the length it started out to be.
Melt ingredients together. Spread over cookies (quickly it sets fast).
Cut cookies in 1 inch squares. Makes 6 dozen.
I dare you to save them for Christmas day.🙂