Posts tagged ‘mexican’
At Linda’s “What can I eat that’s gluten free carnival” I spotted a recipe that is just right for our large family.
I’d like to share it with you so check out Gluten Free Greenie’s Mexican Hamburger and Potato Casserole.
I’m adding a new category on the side to show linked recipes because my ideas are by no means the end all and be all.
For great recipes from other bloggers click the category XYZ Blog Friends’ Recipes
My favorite food category since going gluten free is Mexican food. If I have cilantro, garlic and corn tortilla’s I can almost always whip up something gluten free and I don’t have to make a separate meal if company is coming. The easiest and consequently least difficult (since I’m a goof and often have less than 1 hr before the kids start climbing the cupboards) is a good ol’ quesadilla with white corn tortillas. If you want to add something healthy, toss a green salad and sprinkle with cilantro. Wa-la
If in fact you do have the time I recommend enchiladas- these are no frills but can be embellished in various ways.
Gluten Free Goof’s Tried and True, Go To Enchiladas:
Do I really have to go there? (Shopping List): gf= gluten free
- meat (I usually use chicken)
- large can of gf enchilada sauce (or make your own-I haven’t yet, too lazy)
- cheese (I use vintage white sharp cheddar)
- green chili’s (if you like)
- gf white corn tortilla’s
- rice (compliments nicely but isn’t necessary)
- sour cream, onions, tomatoes etc…your favorite toppings-take them or leave them depending how close the grocery store is.
If I can do it you can do it. (The Recipe):
- 1lb chicken
- 1/2 lb of shredded cheese (more or less to satisfy the latest craze)
- lg can of green ench sauce (I have not yet found a gf red ench sauce, but use what you can find or make it. In a pinch a can of tomato sauce or paste and seasoning with some green chili’s will work-goofy & gringo but true)
- sm can of green chili’s (ooo I would love them fresh but this is North Idaho for crying out loud!)
- about 20 gf corn tortilla’s
Boil the chicken until fully cooked then cool (give the kids a bath, feed “The Bubba” his pre-dinner so he doesn’t come apart at the seams then…continue.)
Wait for the chicken to cool. Or not if you don’t mind burning your fingers. Well ok two forks will work if your fingers are tender. I usually make my husband do this part if we’ve skipped the baths and are in a big hurry (yes my kids are dirty tonight). The point is… shred it!
Next, combine the shredded chicken, shredded cheese or cheeses if you want to get fancy, ench sauce, & green chili’s in a bowl.
Put the stack of corn tortilla’s on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave (but don’t look at the thing-my mom taught me that) for 60 seconds. I like 90 seconds but my husband likes 60 so he gets the victory this time. Go Honey! He is probably right, he makes these more that I do, bless him.
Spoon in the filling, carefully roll the tortilla’s and place in a 9×13 pan (we often double stack them) top with a bit of grated cheese and a drizzle some left over sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40min. Take the foil off and bake another 5 min or until the cheese looks yummy and slightly browned. Take it out of the oven, sprinkle cilantro then serve with rice and various toppings of your choosing.
Let me know what you top yours with!
Has anyone made enchilada sauce from scratch, please share I should try it next time. I should make the tortilla’s too but that’s going a bit too far, I’ll wait till the kids are out of the house for that kind of extravagance.